A blog with honest opinions on Technology: From Video Games to Binary Code.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Competitive Gaming - Welcome To The Thunderdome

The first thing I thought I when I went to MLGPro.com on my initial visit was "Am I really this big of a nerd?". The answer was a resounding yes.

Now I find myself in a funny situation. I am still playing video games at 26 and I am still screaming at my TV (when my wife isn't home). I still crank up my surround sound in hopes of hearing my next victim try to sneak up on me from my left flank. I am still inviting friends over to talk trash on my headset whenever they come across a pre-pubescent voice talking about Pokemon. I am still a nerdy gamer.

The biggest difference between gamers and people that play video games is this: Gamers play to win and people that play video games play to have fun.

I would be willing to bet most Wii owners are people that play video games. I would also be willing to bet that most Halo 3 and Call of Duty owners that play online are gamers. Don't get me wrong, I have a great time and a lot of fun playing Wii Sports with a group of friends. However, I usually always prefer to play a first person shooter online against other insanely competitive people.

I use to be the kid that would sit in front of his TV and play Mario Brothers 3 and fly over every level in my squirrel/raccoon costume for the hell of it. Basically, more available high speed internet made me into an online gaming addict. I went from Metal Gear Solid to Call of Duty 2 and 4 faster than you can say "56k blows".

Now I am spending most of my free time blasting people away in real time and loving every minute of it. The next step is a true professional league for gamers. MLG would like to think they have a firm grip on the competitive gaming world, but they don't.

I have been working out the kinks on what I believe will be the next step in competitive gaming. The project is not yet finished, but once it starts to come to fruition there will be a changing in the guard once again as MLG and it's broken Minor League system (Gamebattles) comes tumbling down and bows before the brainchild of Outspoknpoet.

No comments: