A blog with honest opinions on Technology: From Video Games to Binary Code.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Screw the Console War!

So, after my 360 broke I was lucky to spend a week at my parents house for the Christmas season. The nicest part was spending time with my family. However, the nicest 'tech part' of this was playing PS3 and 360 on my brother's 32 inch HDTV. After about thirty seconds I figured out why I should get an HDTV.

My brother (the nicest guy in the world) let me borrow his 360 after Christmas to play my new games and such. However, when you get back home after playing video games on an HDTV you will realize what exactly HDMI capable televisions are needed for.

1) Your eyes don't hurt!
2) They are just so damn pretty!
3) You can actually see what you are playing or watching!

I finally got the chance to play Call of Duty 4 on both consoles for an extended period of time. I must say, this is the most perfect example of Microsoft and Sony needing to combine networks and allow gamers to play the SAME game online.

The PS3 may be more powerful on paper (and in practice at times) but there is a point where you have to ask, what good is this powerful hardware if it only has a couple of games that will ever really flaunt it.

The 360 is a piece of junk, lets just be honest. They break on nearly 50 percent of the consumers (I was a victim on December 7). However, when the 360 is working it is an extremely impressive machine.

The only true advantage the PS3 has is only important if you own a decent HDTV. BluRay has won the "Format War". BluRay playback is all it is cracked up to be...as long as you have a decent HDTV.

If you are a gamer that either doesn't have the money or the mommy and daddy that will supply an HD System to their little wonderful brat. You are in the some boat as me.

Each console has it's perks and drawbacks. However, when you look at what really matters to the average gamer it is "Do I enjoy the game with whatever I have?" My answer is YES I DO! The HDTV is the best thing you can do for your gaming experience. The only trick is finding the money or the nerve to focus on getting one.

Happy Holidays, enjoy your new games and HDTVs! I will be enjoying my borrowed 360 and waiting for my broken $400 system from Microsoft.

No comments: